Courtesy of Lemon Ninja
1/4 cup white spelt flour
1/4 cup whole grain spelt flour
1 T sugar
1/8 t baking soda + 1/8 t calcium phosphate powder (a cornstarch-free alt. for 1/4 t baking powder)
1/2 cup rice milk
<1T expeller expressed canola oil or lard
1 egg yolk
Enjoy Life chocolate chips (see here for the 411 on chocolate)
Pure maple syrup (CA-free as long as there are no added ingredients!)
- Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl (except chocolate chips); make a well for wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients.
- Pour wet ingredients into well from step 1; mix together, but be careful not to over stir, spelt has very fragile gluten! Smush the lumps on the side of the bowl if you need to to avoid over stirring.
- Let mixture sit for about 15 mins. This is a good time to cook bacon or prepare other parts of your delicious breakfast!
- Pour about 1/8 cup of batter at a time onto no-stick pan on medium heat. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top while the first side is cooking.
- Flip when the uncooked side stops bubbling. Cook side #2, then use a paper towel to wipe up any pancake residue before pouring the next pancake.
- Serve with copious amounts of maple syrup; make yummy noises while eating.
Notes: This recipe is formulated very specifically for use with spelt flour, rice milk, and egg yolk (without the whites). It took several attempts (with hilarious outcomes) to adapt this from several different recipes that used different kinds of flour and milk; all of these recipes either used whole eggs (which I cannot have) or egg replacer (which ninjas cannot have). Point being: any substitutions in this recipe may end in disaster! If you manage to tweak this or another recipe to use a different type of flour or whole eggs, send it to me and I’ll post it to share with your fellow ninjas!