Greetings, Ninjas in Training!
Have you missed me?
(I’ve missed you too.)
I’m afraid I have no excuse for abandoning you, except that I’m a small bit healthier than I was when I last wrote, and now I’m doing super important things like sleeping more and finding new ways to keep you all from finding out that I’m not human.
Actually, I do have a better excuse: I have been busy making caramels and eating them.
As a peace offering, here is the recipe, along with a recipe for rice milk! I will add them to the recipe page soon…
Homemade Rice Milk
1 cup cooked rice
4 cups water
- Throw it all in the blender.
- Turn on the blender.
- That’s it. Seriously.
- Actually you might want to stop the blender before you drink it.
Courtesy of Lemon Ninja and Ninja Mama
1 cup rice milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (real stuff only – the fake stuff is ninja poison)
2 Tbs lard
- Go here.
- Read the entire thing before starting. Caramel happens fast, yo.
- If you don’t have a candy thermometer, familiarize yourself with the old-fashioned cold water testing. I cook phase 1 (just the sugar) to the soft crack stage, and phase 2 (everything) to the firm ball stage, but you can play with that a little if you want.
- Follow the article’s directions with my ingredients. The rice milk is in lieu of the heavy cream and the water, the lard is in lieu of the butter, and the maple syrup is in lieu of the corn syrup. Don’t worry about the vanilla (as you may recall, it “probably” has citric acid), and you can add salt if you want, but I think it’s excellent without!
- While the caramels are cooling, cut some individual wrappers out of parchment paper.
- Don’t cheat and try to eat the caramels before the 2 hour waiting period. It will crystalize and you will be sad.
- Eat the caramels all at once, because how can you not?
That’s all for now, ninjalings. Thank you for all of your wonderful messages, questions, and marriage proposals; I promise I will make that post about chocolate eventually. Until then, when life gives you lemons, RUN!
The Lemon Ninja